Conflict resolution expert and social justice advocate Kenneth Cloke has created an online petition requesting that U.S. President Barack Obama promote the use of conflict resolution both domestically and internationally.
Dispute resolvers, peacemakers, and ADR professionals are encouraged to add their signatures to a growing list of supporters.
This five-point proposal asks that Obama implement the following steps:
- Create a cabinet level ombudsman office or department of peace and consensus building to work proactively to prevent and minimize conflicts
- Build mediation, consensus building, diversity, and democratic conflict resolution processes into every proposal for change, whether domestic or international
- Invite representatives of international institutions, governments, and community organizations to attend a conference to discuss how to improve conflict resolution competencies and encourage collaborative problem solving around the world
- Request that the United Nations initiate a global effort to train diplomats and national representatives in conflict resolution, and incorporate in all treaties a clause requiring signatories to mediate and arbitrate disputes.
- Initiate a program and a fund to support conflict resolution professionals in serving in trouble spots around the world and help people prevent, resolve and recover from conflict.